British Blind Sport Statement on Covid-19 (Coronavirus)
In line with current advice from the World Health Organisation, Public Health England and the UK government, we have made the difficult decision to postpone a number of British Blind Sport led events.
During this time of social distancing, we encourage all our members, volunteers and affiliates to continue to stay active and healthy. Physical activity is a great way to relieve stress, improve mental health and boost the immune system.
The health and safety of our participants and members is paramount and as such we ask anyone that is still attending sports events or taking part in physical activity follows the below advice:
- Frequent hand washing with soap and water for a minimum of 40 seconds. Alcohol-based hand rubs or sanitisers are a good alternative to soap and water when out and about but, when accessible, washing hands thoroughly with soap and water is preferable
- Sneeze or cough directly into a disposable tissue. Dispose of tissues immediately and wash/sanitise hands afterwards
- Where possible, avoid unnecessary touching of surfaces that are used frequently by the public: hand rails, door handles, lift buttons etc
- Avoid sharing items of clothing, towels, drink bottles and close contact such as handshakes, high fives etc is discouraged
- If sharing sports equipment, ensure it is wiped down with anti-bacterial wipes in between uses
- If you have a cough, fever or difficulty breathing please stay at home and call a medical professional
- If you are of a sight level that means you require guiding you may wish to consider wearing gloves where possible
N.B. Whilst much of the advice considers sneezing or coughing into a flexed elbow please be aware that if you are being guided or are guiding someone, using a tissue is the preferable option due to the general method of guiding involving the elbow.
For more information, particularly if you have recently arrived back in the UK from overseas, please look over the following advice from the UK government:https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public
For guidance on good hand washing practice, please look over the following advice from the NHS:https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/best-way-to-wash-your-hands/